Wednesday, February 13, 2013

TTNG - 13.0.0.0.0.

This Town Needs Guns - 13.0.0.0.0. (2013)


TTNG have a new album.

I'm late to the game, but here it is.

Although this album features the new line-up of Henry Tremain from Pennines as Stuart Smith's replacement, Tim Collis not trying to play every note at once on the guitar, and Chris Collis playing dem drums really really god-like, 13.0.0.0.0. doesn't sound that much different from the solid albums previously released by the pioneers of math pop from Oxford, England.

And while this is very good news for TTNG fans, I'm actually kind of surprised at just how similar it sounds to Animals and their self-title. Honestly, I was expecting a shockingly new style and format from these guys now that Stuart is gone. Then again, I always complain when my favorite "math" related acts go off and try to change up their style (Tera Melos), so maybe the fact that Henry Tremain has completely nailed his role as Stuart down to a science is actually just what I wanted and should be satisfied with what I have. Right?

Why mess with perfection, anyway?

Highlights: "Cat Fantastic", "Havoc in the Forum", "I'll Take the Minute Snake", "Nice Riff, Clichard" (I love me some sea sounds), "+3 Awesomeness Repels Water", and "A Different Kind of Tall (small)"



13.0.0.0.0. still has a different sound to it now that Stuart is gone and I recommend anyone who hasn't listened yet to definitely do so. And if anyone hasn't listened to This Town Needs Guns before... listen to everything you can by them - immediately!

Well, maybe not everything. Original This Town Needs Guns (first demo) is kind of ugly step-child material that nobody really wants to talk about. You can give it a try if you want; it's really not that bad. It's just kind of, well, awkward.

Official page
Sargent House
Bandcamp
Last.fm

No comments:

Post a Comment